Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thank you for being a friend



Oh, Estelle Getty. Sophia.

You know this day would come, but it hurts my heart to write this entry right now. She and the other Golden Girls had such a prominent presence in my life growing up.

My mom and I used to bond over the show. We'd watch before Empty Nest, and then continue with the tradition on Lifetime, always cracking up at Sophia's wisecracks and loving the strong bond they had with each other. This continued in college, when I'd come home from break and we'd relax on the couch at 1pm and 5pm to watch. Hell, I even tried out Golden Palace.

Having family members who've fallen in their battles with Alzheimer's & Parkinson's, I know the toll these diseases take on someone. You never wish it upon anyone and she had been battling it for a while. However, at the young age of 84 you still hope for more of her wit to come.





No comments: